walking on Sonshine!

little by little one step at a time, He's changing my heart and renewing my mind (: teaching me how to be patient and kind little by little one step at a time! (:

Thursday, November 13, 2008

The following devotions is from Pastor's ICare series of devotions.

MEDITATION

“Surely I have calmed and quieted my soul,
like a weaned child with his mother;
Like a weaned child is my soul within me.” Psalm 131:2



INTERPRETATION AND APPLICATION


1. Context of “hope”

“O Israel, hope in the LORD,
from this time forth and forever.’” Psalm 132:3


a) Hope… in a quiet sense (not fretful)

b) A challenge to hope in the Lord in this manner… forever!



2. Choosing this “weaned and calm” approach over the following:-

a) Rejection of haughtiness

“My heart is not haughty, nor my eyes lofty” Psalm 131:1a


b) Rejection of trying to appear smarter than one actually is…

“Neither do I concern myself with great matters,
nor with things too profound for me” Psalm 131:b



3. A weaned child

a) The imagery chosen is that of a child being weaned from being breast-fed
b) The baby is initially fretful
c) But when the weaning process is over… the child is “calm and quiet”
d) There is still a lot of room for growth!

reading this reminded me of when i first came across Psalm 131. the period in my life where my heart and head were caught in this whirlwind of emotions i could hardly breathe. but this passage gave me a peace i cldnt explain. and there are moments in my life where my breath is knocked out of me by the sheer force of life's trials and the unpredictability of circumstances. but in those moments i just want to let my Father take over. every part. i will not concern myself with matters that are not within my control..things that i cannot understand. but ive come to realise that as you walk with the Lord there will come peace as you trust..

and where answers aren't enough there is Jesus, for He is more than just an answer to your prayer. and your heart will find a safe and peaceful refuge. when answers aren't enough, He's there.